About Me

  • Jonathan Lee Hsien Jun is a random boy staying at Yishun.

Tagboard

  • <

Archives

Music


  • being simple as it should be
    more than enough to understand
    like my permanent underwears

    Sunday, February 1, 2009

    Jonathan's Promise

    For those not in Lit, do not ask me what promise Im making -.- I'm making a pun(not really) of a novel excerpt entitled 'Abraham's Promise', which I intend to quote here.

    'Some things can only be learned, not taught ... Loving someone is good, a wonderful thing, but it makes you weaker, more vulnerable. You love your mother so the pain she suffers becomes your pain... You should love, you will love, you WON'T be able to stop yourself and you shouldn't try. Just will yourself to be strong enough to survive your love... Love, boy, it leads you to sacrifice.'

    This long quote is so ownage that I felt I should note it down, lest I forget it in the future. First of all, it's not like we all don't know how to cook up such rational and straightforward theories. However, it is one thing to conjure quotes, and another to experience them in the context of a moving story. That is the feeling I want to retain with this quote - for those in lit and have read the excerpt you would know and probably feel the same way. Better, for those who have experienced the above, it would be a moment of memory, of self-reflection, of realisation/insight.

    I have always thought that I don't want my wife to give birth next time, for I would never want her to feel pain, to get hurt, coz her pain will be my pain as well. But now all of a sudden, I ask myself, is that a sign of weakness? In not wanting to face such pain, would I be escaping from reality? In such an idealistic view, would I even be considering what my wife wants? I think I ought to respect her decision ultimately. What are your views?